Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Binary Oppositions: Dressed Up Antonyms?

1. Sun/moon
2. Sacred/secular
3. Light/dark
4. Good/evil
5. Hot/cold
6. Cat/dog
7. Male/female
8. Black/white
9. Young/old
10. New/old
11. Good/bad
12. Winter/summer
13. Fall/spring
14. Traditional/contemporary
15. Construction/deconstruction
· Hmmmmm…binary oppositions are fun but at the risk of sounding facetious I am wondering if they are just glorified antonyms. Seriously, is there any difference besides the fact that they evidently have particular connotations associated with them? Are we simply dressing up and giving a new term to that which we learned in elementary school? Someone please tell me. Also, in class we were placing them in columns according to our negative and positive associations of the words and I was wondering is there a certain side the negative is supposed to go on? I thought that I read somewhere that the word with the negative connotations goes on say the left side and the word with the positive connotation goes on the right side? Is this true? Also, because some of our perspectives differ regarding associations with the words I am wondering if that makes the whole theory behind binary oppositions relative. I think I have more questions than anything in this entry. Must be the whole question at issue deal rubbing off on me.

No comments: