Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Abigail's Entry, My Response

The following is from Abigail Nye's blog:

"To summarize: a small group of book buyers formed a screen through which novels passed on their way to commercial success; a handful of agents and editors picked the novels that would compete for the notice of those buyers; and a tight network of advertisers and reviewers, organized around the New York Times Book Review, selected from these a few to be recognized as compelling, important, "talked about." (Ohmann, 1884)
Let me preface this blog by saying that I have a lot of pride for the country I live in. Perhaps this has something to do with the fact that my father has served in the military for over 25 years. Nevertheless, I proud to say I live in America and feel incredibly blessed to be given the opportunities I have been given because I am a citizen of this country. This does not mean I completely agree with every decision our government has made or that I stand behind ALL of the notions America seems to stand for. It simply means I know the cost and weight of the freedom I possess to live the lifestyle that I do. This being said, I have a difficult time with Ohmann's complaint that our capitalist nation has become nothing more than a censor for which only those with the highest degree of wealth of power make the decision of what is popular and what is not. I am aware of the fact that SOME of the books that have been chosen as "best sellers" have been selected by an elite group. I am also aware of the fact that monopolies like the New York Times Book Review do need to do more in order to incorporate a more realistic and balanced view when it comes to deciding what literature is worth being read. However, I also feel that there is not enough emphasis in Ohmann's writing placed on individual decisions. Although we can attribute some of the decisions made about books to the imbalance of power, we cannot forget about human nature and individual will. Yes, marketing does play a part but when I walk into a bookstore I don't find myself at the "20 Top Books" stand but way back in the corners where the books that are not so popular are sold (most of the time this is because I think that the books being produced today are garbage and I am skeptical-and also because I just like to look at the cookbooks-haha). I understand Ohmann's argument but feel it is somewhat unbalanced. After all, we all make choices everyday which determine affects that happen in the bigger picture. Even when discussing society and literature, this fact cannot be overlooked. It is easy for people to complain about America and blame so many factors in our world on Capitalism. To some degree I can resonate with these issues and concerns. However, I also feel that people and the world cannot use capitalism as an area to place the blame for poor individual decisions made. Yes, we are all a community. But each member of the community makes decisions that effect the community as a whole so individual choices cannot be overlooked and blamed on the community as a whole. I don't even know if I am making any sense at this point...but I just wanted to offer a counter-argument to Ohmann's conclusion.



My Response to Abigail Nye's Entry Posted Above:
I'm honestly not sure that I am able to follow your line of reasoning. I think you would be profoundly hard-pressed to prove Ohman wrong. He has quite a few valid points. I'm not so convinced that Ohmann isn't proud to be an American, and I am not so sure how you arrived at that kind of conclusion. It seems to me that you might have rationalized ideas of what he is getting at, but there are not facts for evidence of such. As I was reading his essay I couldn't help but think well ummm DUH to a lot of his statements. At the risk of sounding like a complete jerk, I thought it was ridiculous that Ohmann did research to conclude such obvious points. It seemed to me that what he was getting at, even more than capitalism, was the idea of things being political. This relates to the notion of the ruling class. Perhaps those things political are closely related to capitalism. Just to clarify when I speak of politics I am in no way assocaiting governmental politics. I mean politics in the sense that who I know, or my place in society, will determine my success in the world.

No comments: