Monday, March 3, 2008

What up Barthes?

::This entry needs a disclaimer, so here it is: I spent my day typing my senior seminar paper (26 pages thus far) and then taught a tap dance class and now am back writing this blog entry as the clock quickly approaches 12 a.m. so you might have to forgive that which I write that is completely and utterly bizarre:


Ok so I read this assignment over the weekend and perhaps I completely missed something but I’m not exactly positive what the leading French structuralist, Ronald Barthes was trying to express in From Mythologies Soap-powders and Detergents. It seems to me that Barthes makes an effort to show the way in which culture is covered by myths, disguised as truths. Perhaps the way he writes, which left me feeling a bit dumbfounded, is impacted by the reality that he is writing on the brink of structuralism and poststructuralism. Seriously though, what up with the collaboration between science and detergent? I did not just write “what up”, oh yes I did. What a shame, I had an English teacher in high school that used to say “what up” and I thought it was quite disturbing given his position and now his influence just came through in my blog entry. Anyway, can someone please clue me in as to how his essay related to structuralism? My brain is fried.

1 comment:

dudivie said...

are you still here?