Thursday, February 21, 2008

Innately Formalist- Logical Possibility?

The following poem (by following I mean posted below, for your conveience of course) was presented in literary criticism class today, and we were asked to do a free write about its meaning. Upon completion of this first task we paired with partners and shared that which we had written. Upon first reflection this poem honestly seems quite simplistic. I mentioned to my partner that this poem immediately reminded me of the Casting Crown’s Stained Glass Masquerade song. I had scribbled down thoughts regarding how so many Christians feel compelled to wear a mask, that they are surface level, ultimately that they lack integrity. This song also reminded me of those who might be defined as having inducement personalities, people pleasers, who often lack touch with reality, who fail in the realm of authenticity (ouch, I know I have potentially stepped on toes).

Our professor then interrupted our conversations and informed us that the poem was written by an African American, and asked us to consider whether having that information changed our understanding of the poem’s meaning. My partner immediately suggested that knowing that information certainly changed the poem’s meaning. I snickered and said while of course we can allow that to change the meaning if we want; after all we are English majors. However, I didn’t stop there. I decided to reject that which my field of study has trained me to do and instead suggested that we do not have to allow that knowledge to change our thinking, or understanding, of the poem.

Isn’t it interesting how we often assume things of writng based upon for instance historical or biographical information. In this example we want to pounce on the idea that this poem could be speaking of slavery, but I beg to differ. Surely, this is a possibility, and a rather logical one at that, but I would caution our assumption of such things when there is no clear evidence. Perhaps we are so deeply seeped in this way of thinking that it subjects in us an immediate desire to consider the biographical, intellectual, and historical backgrounds of those texts that we read, or perhaps I am just innately a formalist, though I am not sure if being innately formalist is a logical possibility.

We Wear the Mask- Paul Laurence Dunbar (1872-1906)

WE wear the mask that grins and lies,
It hides our cheeks and shades our eyes,—
This debt we pay to human guile;
With torn and bleeding hearts we smile,
And mouth with myriad subtleties.

Why should the world be over-wise,
In counting all our tears and sighs?
Nay, let them only see us, while
We wear the mask.

We smile, but, O great Christ, our cries
To thee from tortured souls arise.
We sing, but oh the clay is vile
Beneath our feet, and long the mile;
But let the world dream otherwise,
We wear the mask!

Stained Glass Masquerade- Casting Crowns

Is there anyone that fails
Is there anyone that falls
Am I the only one in church today feelin' so small

Cause when I take a look around
Everybody seems so strong
I know they'll soon discover
That I don't belong

So I tuck it all away, like everything's okay
If I make them all believe it, maybe I'll believe it too
So with a painted grin, I play the heart again
So everyone will see me the way that I see them

Are we happy plastic people
Under shiny plastic steeples
With walls around our weakness
And smiles to hide our pain
But if the invitation's open
To every heart that has been broken
Maybe then we close the curtain
On our stained glass masquerade

Is there anyone who's been there
Are there any hands to raise
Am I the only one who's traded
In the altar for a stage

The performance is convincing
And we know every line by heart
Only when no one is watching
Can we really fall apart

But would it set me free
If I dared to let you see
The truth behind the person
That you imagine me to be

Would your arms be open
Or would you walk away
Would the love of Jesus
Be enough to make you stay

Listen to the song I refer to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRUJrjUGGfg


1 comment:

megmel said...

isn't it interesting how we can interpret things in so many ways? at first, without knowing the author's background of the poem, we let our intitial emotional and personal response influence our conclusions about the meaning of the poem, but as soon as we found out that the author was a slave our meanings changed! oh english majors... haha