Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Interrelationship: Culture & Perfection



While I appreciate Matthew Arnold’s creation of the interrelationship between culture and perfection in, Culture and Anarchy, I find it difficult to follow how he arrives at such. How would he suggest we pursue total perfection, when we are a very different people, individuals? He suggests that we allow the will of God to prevail but sadly, the will of God is often misconstrued even by the best of finite minds. Still, I uphold Arnold’s call to see and learn truth in an effort to pursue both personal satisfaction and bring about culture. I wonder whether this might realistically be a logical impossibility. Arnold’s essay, provokes a lot of pertinent considerations, but in my mind, also leave a lot of questions.

No comments: