Wednesday, February 6, 2008

To my fellow classmates of English 394, Literary Criticism: It is my hope that we might learn from one another as we read and comment on one another’s blogs throughout the semester. I think we learn perhaps best when we are in relationship. These blogs will help us to commit to continuing interaction outside the classroom. I look forward to what I might learn as we share in our study of literary criticism. While I cannot promise you any profound words, it is my honest intent to seek, study, and share that which is related to my study of theoretical foundations of literary and cultural studies.

To my friends, many of whom are not, nor ever were, nor ever will be English majors: I thank you in advance for journeying with me. As aforementioned in my page description, literary criticism is not solely for those of us who have chosen to earn our bachelors degree in English. Rather, it is for all who read or write at any level and at any capacity. Perhaps you might discover the way in which literary criticism is most applicable to your specified field of study or vocation.

To those of you who arrived here by whim: Let me begin by saying that I believe your landing upon my page was certainly not by whim, but rather by the intervention of divine appointment (note the sarcasm). However, without getting too theological I do believe that nothing happens without a reason. Perhaps you might discover something new or afresh related to literary criticism. Even more, I hope that I might discover and learn from you.

To all pilgrims united with me on my journey: It is my hope that we might learn in relationship. For those of you whom I have the opportunity of speaking with in person, it is my hope that you might share your related thoughts and discoveries with me. For those of you whom don’t have that luxury, perhaps because of a barrier of distance, I trust that the limitation will not discourage you in our interaction together as we journey our study of literary criticism. I welcome and encourage the comments of all whom journey with me, at any distance, toward obtaining a better understanding of literary and cultural studies.

No comments: